Along the coast below the town of Taormina, there is an islet that is a small piece of paradise: Isola Bella. How to reach Isola Bella? And what to see there? What is its history?
Together with the Ancient Theatre, it can be considered a symbol of Taormina and everyone who passes by should definitely not to miss a visit to Isola Bella.
Isola Bella and its owners
This small rock in the Ionian Sea has had several owners over the centuries and, luckily, they all kept its natural appearance. This is why, even today, Isola Bella is unique, in full harmony with the surrounding nature.
But who should we thank for keeping its aspect undamaged? Let’s see them together:
- In 1806 the Municipality of Taormina became the owner;
- The English noblewoman Florence Treveylan Cacciola bought it in 1890, we owe her the presence of numerous species of exotic plants;
- From 1954 to 1982, the Bosurgi family added some structures but they covered them with stone, leaving the landscape of the island unaltered;
- In 1992 the Sicilian Region acquires it;
- The Nature Reserve was established in 1998 to protect the flora and fauna of the entire bay. WWF was responsible for safeguarding of this natural heritage;
- Since 2010 it is part of the Archaeological Park of Naxos.
How to reach Isola Bella
The islet of Isola Bella can be reached by walking along the strip of sand that connects it to the mainland. Depending on the tides it may be slightly covered by water but nothing prohibitive.
From Taormina, just take the cable car, in 5 minutes you can reach the Mazzarò Bay and then walk for about 200 meters towards the steps leading to the beach.
You can also take the flight of steps that arrive from the town right in front of the beach
By car, you can take the National Road 113 to Baia di Mazzarò or, if you come by highway, the recommended exit is Taormina.
What to see in Isola Bella
Once we cross the entrance gate, we immediately plunge into the lush vegetation and we can discover the various structures partly hidden by plants or stone.
A series of panels tell us the story of Isola Bella and some videos make us remember its golden moment when here lots of parties were given frequented and the Italian and international jet-set were entertained.
But do not forget the wonderful views over the surrounding bay that will leave us enchanted by their beauty.